Sunday, September 12, 2010

Project

I would like to learn to build a website.  Specifically, I would like to build a site for my dad's business, as I think it would be a nice present for him.  This is my dad:

As you can see, he wants to be taken very seriously.


And other than that...

Honestly, I would really like to develop some kind of desire or at least appreciation for blogs and blogging.  Because really, I don't get it.  First of all, I don't think very many people honestly have anything interesting to say.  I don't really care about reading your blog if all you write about is your newest pair of shoes and your favorite jello flavor.  It's pointless.  Also, I think that there are way too many people out there who are looking to blogs to get their careers off the ground.  Which is apparently a perfectly reasonable thing to do these days, and those of us who aren't blogging are probably fools for missing out on the chance to self-promote and get our brilliance out there to the clamoring masses.  But I don't know that it's for me. 

There is a big difference between a blogger and a writer.  I would prefer to be considered the latter.

And so...right now I'm not sure I see the appeal of blogging.  Other than narcissism.  But I am open to argument and who knows?  Maybe I'll be persuaded to see the usefulness of the blog.

Yes, that is something I would like to discover:

WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT OF BLOGGING? 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, there are a lot of blogs out there (and blogging sites) that are like diaries. E.g., Open Diary, Live Journal, etc. And those aren't exactly thrilling. Even my personal blog has some of that on there, but I strive to add other things that are more interesting (e.g., some of my writing, reviews of books and movies/shows, etc.). But anyway, today, blogs are used for a lot more than they used to be; sometimes, even I don't realize right away that a website is, technically, a blog. Eonline.com switched over to the blog format a few years ago. YouTube.com is, essentially, a humongous blog community with video. Cracked.com, which I know to be one of your favorites, if I remember correctly, is very bloglike. DeviantART.com is a fantastic community for artists, writers, etc., where people can post their artwork and, yes, blog/journal. In short, creating a blog today is just a way of automating, of making it easy to update a website and keep track of when updates were made. It's all in the format. The CONTENT is what makes a website transcend its derogatory status as a blog. But you do have a very good point: most people don't know how to use a blog effectively. Hence the stigma of "blog."

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to blogging, I shamelessly use it as a marketing tool but I'm also using it to test ghost stories and hope one day to use it to collect folklore. Would it still be folklore if it's collected online?
    I too love the photo. He is clearly in the cabin.

    ReplyDelete