Thursday, December 2, 2010

Grit

I'm not sure how I feel about the remake of True Grit.  I love the original.  John Wayne is perfect as Rooster Cogburn, and I'm pretty sure I had a huge crush on Glen Campbell's La Boeuf after seeing the film when I was about 10.  Because, you know...I like assholes.  Always have, always will.

As for Version 2.0...well, I like Jeff Bridges.  Though I'm not fond of Matt Damon with a mustache (no mustache is tolerable).  And I like Josh Brolin, especially when he's being scary.

I know I'm going to see it.  Even Pandora is endorsing this decision: it keeps playing artists with sandpaper-y voices who sing about whiskey and horses and being away from home.

But of all the movies that could be remade, True Grit is one that absolutely did not need a reboot.  That movie is flawless as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm sure Jeff Bridges will be great.  I liked him a lot in Crazy Heart.  Don't get me wrong- the screenplay for that movie was nothing special.  It was the mother of all cliches, predictable down to the dialogue.  But it was the best version of that cliche I've ever seen, and Bridges was very, very good.  I could do without Maggie Gyllenhaal, though...I can always do without Maggie Gyllenhaal.  And her brother.  Blech.

YOU ARE IRREPLACEABLE!

1 comment:

  1. I am totally with you. We do not need another True Grit. There is only one True Grit. I love that final scene in the graveyard -- killer. And I had a crush on Glen too . . .

    ReplyDelete